Olin-Searle-Smith Fellows in Law
2014 - 2015
The Olin-Searle-Smith Fellows in Law program will offer top young legal thinkers the opportunity to spend a year working full time on writing and developing their scholarship with the goal of entering the legal academy.
A distinguished group of academics will select the Fellows. Criteria include:
- Dedication to teaching and scholarship
- A J.D. and extremely strong academic qualifications (such as significant clerkship or law review experience)
- Commitment to the rule of law and intellectual diversity in legal academia
- The promise of a distinguished career as a legal scholar and teacher
Stipends will include $60,000 plus health benefits. The Fellowship will be housed at a top law school, selected in consultation with the Fellowship Selection Committee, the Fellow, and the law school. While details will be worked out with the specific host school for the Fellow, in general the Fellow will be provided with an office and will be included in the life of the school. Fellows are not expected to hold other employment during the term of their fellowships.
All those who believe they fit the criteria are encouraged to apply. Applicants should submit the following:
- A resume and law school transcript
- Academic writing sample(s) with an approximately 50-page limit on the total number of pages submitted (i.e. two 25-page pieces are fine, two 50-page pieces are not)
- A brief discussion of their areas of intellectual interest/research agenda (approximately 2 pages)
- A statement of their commitment to teaching law
- At least two and generally no more than three letters of support. These should come from people who can speak to your academic potential and should generally include at least two letters from law professors. If you are doing interdisciplinary work a letter from someone who can speak to your work in that area is also helpful. You may also include additional references with phone numbers.
Applications must be received no later than March 14, 2014.
Applicants will be notified in mid-May 2014.
Please submit applications online: www.fed-soc.org/olin-searle-
Please have letters of recommmendation sent to Jandi Heagen by email (preferred) at email@example.com or in hard copy at:
Olin-Searle-Smith Fellows in Law Program
ATTN: Jandi Heagen
c/o The Federalist Society
1015 18th Street, N.W., Suite 425
Washington, D.C. 20036