Litigation Practice Group Podcast
After almost eight years in office, President Obama’s 322 appointments to the federal courts have already begun to make a substantial impact on the law. In this Teleforum, two litigators talked about whether and how these new judges are shaping the law and the judiciary. They focused in particular on the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the D.C. and Ninth Circuits.
2016 Annual Florida Chapters Conference
- Damien Schiff, Principal Attorney, Pacific Legal Foundation
- Brett Shumate, Partner, Wiley Rein LLP
Tim Cerio, General Counsel to Governor Rick Scott of Florida, delivered this address at the 2016 Annual Florida Chapters Conference on Saturday, January 23, 2016, at Disney's Boardwalk Inn in Lake Buena Vista, FL. He was introduced by Judge Ed Scales of the Florida Third District Court of Appeal.
Address by Tim Cerio
- Mr. Tim Cerio, General Counsel to Governor Rick Scott
- Introduction: Hon. Edwin A. Scales III, Florida Third District Court of Appeal
Disney's Boardwalk Inn 2016 Annual Florida Chapters Conference
Lake Buena Vista, FL
This panel was part of the 2016 Annual Florida Chapters Conference at Disney's Boardwalk Inn in Lake Buena Vista, FL on January 22-23, 2016.
A Conversation on Judging
- Hon. Charles T. Canady, Florida Supreme Court
- Hon. William H. Pryor, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Moderator: Dean R. Alexander Acosta, Dean, Florida International University College of Law
- Introduction: Mr. Morgan Streetman, Founder and Principal, Streetman Law
Disney's Boardwalk Inn Litigation Practice Group Podcast
Lake Buena Vista, FL
Whoever the next President is, judicial appointments will be among his or her most important legacies. With four Supreme Court Justices over the age of 77, this is a particularly timely discussion. This Teleforum discussed what the next President should look for in judicial nominees. It also discussed whether and how the President takes the Senate's views into account when making judicial nominations.
2015 National Lawyers Convention
- Thomas L. Jipping, Chief Counsel, Senator Hatch, Judiciary Committee
- Carrie Severino, Chief Counsel and Policy Director, Judicial Crisis Network
Many attorneys see a judgeship as the pinnacle of professional achievement in the legal world. It could be the visibility of judges, their unquestioned decision-making authority, the absence of clients, life tenure, or some other aspect of being a judge. Our panel of judges will discuss the realities of a career on the bench. The panelists will share their thoughts on topics as diverse as the role of the judiciary, judicial philosophy, stare decisis and precedent, opinions and dissents, the judicial appointment process, the state of the legal profession, and much more.
This panel was presented at the 2015 National Lawyers Convention on Saturday, November 14, 2015, at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington, DC.
Special Session: Life on the Bench
2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Hon. Brett Kavanaugh, U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- Hon. Alex Kozinski, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Hon. Diarmuid F. O'Scannlain, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Hon. Jerry Smith, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Hon. David Stras, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of Minnesota
- Moderator: Hon. David B. Sentelle, U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- Introduction: Mr. Dean A. Reuter, Vice President & Director of Practice Groups, The Federalist Society
The Mayflower Hotel