Litigation Practice Group Podcast
After almost eight years in office, President Obama’s 322 appointments to the federal courts have already begun to make a substantial impact on the law. In this Teleforum, two litigators talked about whether and how these new judges are shaping the law and the judiciary. They focused in particular on the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the D.C. and Ninth Circuits.
Las Vegas Lawyers Chapter
- Damien Schiff, Principal Attorney, Pacific Legal Foundation
- Brett Shumate, Partner, Wiley Rein LLP
Mark Behrens, co-chair of the Washington, DC-based Public Policy Group of Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P., will discuss Nevada’s poor ranking in a recent U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform survey of the fairness of state legal climates. He will also discuss the comments on Nevada courts included in the American Tort Reform Foundation’s annual Judicial Hellholes report, along with a recent point of light from the Nevada Supreme Court. Mr. Behrens will discuss Nevada’s efforts for judicial reform together with strategies Nevada lawyers may use to promote a fair and restrained judiciary.
Assemblyman Erv Nelson is a partner at the Las Vegas firm of Cram Valdez Brigman & Nelson and Vice-Chairman of the Judiciary Committee of the Nevada State Assembly. In his role as a legislator, he was deeply involved in efforts to enact Judicial Reform legislation in Nevada. Mr. Nelson will discuss Nevada’s efforts to affect Judicial Reform, including legislation that may be proposed in the future.
The Las Vegas Lawyers Chapter hosted this event on January 28, 2016.
- Mr. Mark Behrens, Co-chair, Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Hon. Erven T. Nelson, Nevada Assemblyman
- Introduction: Mr. Matthew Saltzman, Shareholder, Kolesar & Leatham
Fogo de Chao Churrascaria Restaurant 2016 Annual Florida Chapters Conference
Las Vegas, NV
Tim Cerio, General Counsel to Governor Rick Scott of Florida, delivered this address at the 2016 Annual Florida Chapters Conference on Saturday, January 23, 2016, at Disney's Boardwalk Inn in Lake Buena Vista, FL. He was introduced by Judge Ed Scales of the Florida Third District Court of Appeal.
Address by Tim Cerio
- Mr. Tim Cerio, General Counsel to Governor Rick Scott
- Introduction: Hon. Edwin A. Scales III, Florida Third District Court of Appeal
Disney's Boardwalk Inn 2016 Annual Florida Chapters Conference
Lake Buena Vista, FL
This panel was part of the 2016 Annual Florida Chapters Conference at Disney's Boardwalk Inn in Lake Buena Vista, FL on January 22-23, 2016.
A Conversation on Judging
- Hon. Charles T. Canady, Florida Supreme Court
- Hon. William H. Pryor, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Moderator: Dean R. Alexander Acosta, Dean, Florida International University College of Law
- Introduction: Mr. Morgan Streetman, Founder and Principal, Streetman Law
Disney's Boardwalk Inn 18th Annual Faculty Conference
Lake Buena Vista, FL
When Chevron was first decided it was generally welcomed on the right side of the political spectrum as a principled method constraining judicial discretion and permitting the executive to exert policy control over the administrative state. But as the administrative state continues to grow, some now see Chevron as removing an important check on government power and an abdication of the judiciary’s authority to say what the law is. Some members of the Supreme Court are now open to reconsidering judicial deference to agency action, at least in certain areas, such as determining their own jurisdictions and interpreting their own regulations. The panel will consider the extent to which the new skepticism toward Chevron in particular and judicial deference to agencies in general is justified.
This panel took place during the 18th Annual Faculty Conference at the Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel in New York, NY on January 8, 2016.
- Dean Blake D. Morant, President, Association of American Law Schools & Dean and Robert Kramer Research Professor of Law, George Washington University Law School and
- Dean Kellye Y. Testy, President Elect, Association of American Law Schools & Toni Rembe Dean & Professor of Law, University of Washington School of Law
- Introduction: Hon. Lee Liberman Otis, Senior Vice President & Faculty Division Director, The Federalist Society
Panel: The New Chevron Skeptics
8:45 am - 10:15 am
- Prof. Michael Herz, Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- Prof. Jeffrey Pojanowski, University of Notre Dame Law School
- Prof. Peter Strauss, Columbia Law School
- Prof. Christopher Walker, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law
- Moderator: Prof. John McGinnis, Northwestern University School of Law
New York, NY
January 8, 2016