Pritzker Military Library
104 South Michigan Avenue
On September 15, 2011, the Chicago Lawyers Chapter hosted the 9/11 Tenth Anniversary Program featuring a panel discussion and a debate. The distinguished panelists discussed the themes of Confronting Terror: 9/11 and the Future of American National Security from a variety of viewpoints presented in the book. Confronting Terror was edited by Prof. John Yoo of the University of California Berkeley School of Law and leading initial architect of post-9/11 national security policy, and Dean Reuter, Vice President & Director of Practice Groups for the Federalist Society for Law & Public Policy.
Following the panel discussion, Prof. John C. Yoo of the University of California Berkeley School of Law and Prof. Alberto R. Coll of DePaul University College of Law debated the President's war powers and issues relevant not only to the war against terrorists, but also to on-going US and NATO action in Libya and in future conflicts as they arise.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2011
Panel Discussion: Confronting Terror: 9/11 and the Future of American National Security - Audio/Video
- Prof. Arthur Herman, Visiting Scholar, American Enterprise Institute
- Dr. Charles Kesler, Senior Fellow, The Claremont Institute
- Mr. Dean A. Reuter, Vice President & Director, Practice Groups, The Federalist Society
- Moderator: Hon. Frank Easterbrook, Chief Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- To Propose: Prof. John C. Yoo, University of California Berkeley School of Law and former Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Office of Legal Counsel, U.S. Department of Justice
- To Oppose: Prof. Alberto R. Coll, DePaul University College of Law and former Principal Deputy Secretary of Defense for Low Intensity Conflict and former Dean of Strategy, U.S. Naval War College
- Moderator: Mr. James Warren -- Columnist, The Atlantic and the Chicago News Cooperative as well as former reporter and editor for the Chicago Tribune
- Introduction: Mr. James C. Dunlop, Counsel, Jones Day