Steptoe & Johnson, LLP
1330 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Both President Bush and President Obama directed comprehensive reviews of America's cyber security strategy. The current Cyberspace Policy Review concludes that cyber security poses some of the most serious economic and national security challenges of the 21st Century. The challenges include cyber warfare, cyber terrorism, cyber espionage, cyber attacks on defense facilities, critical infrastructure and private companies, and cyber theft of personal data. They give rise to complex and interconnected legal and policy issues, in areas such as the law of armed conflict, privacy and the scope of regulation, which will be addressed at this symposium.
TUESDAY, JUNE 28, 2011
Welcome and Introduction - Audio/Video
- Mr. Vincent J. Vitkowsky, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP, and Adjunct Fellow, Center for Law and Counterterrorism
10:00 to 11:30 a.m.
Panel One: National Security - Audio/Video
- Mr. Steven G. Bradbury, Partner, Dechert LLP, former Acting Assistant Attorney General, Office of Legal Counsel
- Col. Gary D. Brown, U.S. Air Force, Staff Judge Advocate, United States Cyber Command
- Mr. Shane Harris, Senior Writer, The Washingtonian
- Prof. Jeremy A. Rabkin, George Mason Law School
- Moderator: Mr. Paul Rosenzweig, Principal, Red Branch Law and Consulting, former Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy, and former Acting Assistant Secretary for International Affairs, Department of Homeland Security
Luncheon Address - Audio/Video
- Mr. Stewart A. Baker, Steptoe & Johnson LLP, former Assistant Secretary for Policy, Department of Homeland Security
1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
Panel Two: Economic Security - Audio/Video
- Prof. Orin S. Kerr, The George Washington University Law School
- Mr. Marc Rotenberg, President, Electronic Privacy Information Center
- Mr. John Smith, Counsel, Raytheon, and former Associate Counsel to the President (legal advisor to White House Homeland Security Council)
- Mr. Michael Vatis, Steptoe & Johnson LLP, founding Director, National Infrastructure Protection Center at the FBI, and former Deputy Director, Executive Office for National Security, Department of Justice
- Moderator: Mr. Vincent J. Vitkowsky, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP