The Athletic Club of Columbus
136 E Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43215
The Inaugural Ohio Chapters Conference was held on Friday, March 31, 2017, at the Athletic Club of Columbus in Columbus, Ohio.
Registration and Welcome
10:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Convention of the States - Audio/Video
11:00 AM - 12:15 PM
Article V of the United States Constitution permits state legislatures to call a constitutional convention to consider amendments to the Constitution. State legislatures have never utilized this procedure. Calls for an Article V Convention have increased in recent years in response to the growth of the federal government. This panel will discuss whether the States should hold an Article V Convention to amend the Constitution, with a focus on whether Ohio would benefit from such amendments.
- Hon. Tom Brinkman, Ohio House of Representatives, District 27
- Hon. Jennifer Brunner, Ohio 10th District Court of Appeals
- Professor David Forte, Professor of Law, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University
- Hon. Matt Huffman, Ohio State Senate, District 12
- Hon. Larry Obhof, Ohio Senate President (Moderator)
Keynote Address - Audio/Video
12:15 PM - 1:30 PM
- Keynote Speaker: J.D. Vance, Author, Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
Fighting Federal Encroachment - Audio/Video
1:45 PM - 3:00 PM
In our nation's federalist system, the federal government's powers are limited to those that have been prescribed by the U.S Constitution, with additional powers reserved to the states. In recent years, state attorneys general have served as a robust check on executive branch overreach, increasingly using litigation to challenge federal encroachment with respect to environmental and land use issues, immigration, labor policy, and health care (among other examples). This panel will discuss what Ohio can and should do to fight federal encroachment into state affairs. How will federalism be protected during the Trump Administration?
- Hon. Mike DeWine, Ohio Attorney General
- David Fornshell, Warren County Prosecutor
- Hon. Wes Goodman, Ohio House of Representatives, District 87
- Hon. Dave Yost, Ohio Auditor of State
- Eric Murphy, Ohio State Solicitor (Moderator)
Interpreting State Constitutions - Audio/Video
3:15 PM - 4:30 PM
State courts are often faced with cases raising arguments under state and federal law. If there are similar provisions in both the United States Constitution and the Ohio Constitution, how should judges interpret these provisions? Must they be interpreted in the same way? If not, then what is needed to justify a court's decision to interpret text in the Ohio Constitution differently than similar (or even identical) text in the United States Constitution?
- Hon. Judith French, Ohio Supreme Court
- Hon. Jeffrey S. Sutton, U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- Hon. Steve Yarbrough, Ohio Sixth District Court of Appeals (Moderator)
4:30 PM - 6:00 PM