Gewirz Student Center
Georgetown University Law Center
120 F St NW
Washington, DC 20001
John B. Bellinger, III
Brian H. Hook
John O. McGinnis
Timothy J. Keeler
Matthew R.A. Heiman
Jamil N. Jaffer
The Federalist Society's Practice Group and Student Divisions and the American Branch of the International Law Association (ABILA) are pleased to present a half-day conference on the future of international and national law under freshly inaugurated President Trump. The first panel will focus on the future of trade law, under a president who made free trade agreements like the Trans-Pacific Partnership and NAFTA a campaign issue. The second panel will discuss the future of American alliances and interventions under the Trump administration. Lunch will feature a lively discussion between leading international lawyers the Hon. John Bellinger and Associate Dean and Professor Rosa Brooks about whether international law will matter to the new administration. The luncheon panel will be moderated by Professor David Stewart.
Join us Monday, January 23, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. for a morning program and luncheon at Georgetown University Law Center to hear our legal experts the future of international and national security law under the new administration. A link to a free live-stream will be made available on January 23 so the conference can be watched in real time.
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Registration
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Panel 1: What is the Future of Trade Law?
- Prof. Timothy J. Keeler, former Chief of Staff, Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR)
- Prof. John O. McGinnis, former Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Office of Legal Counsel at the Department of Justice
- Mr. Jeff Pavlak, Legislative Representative at Transportation Trades Department, AFL-CIO
- Prof. Alvaro Santos, Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center
- Moderator: Mr. Matthew R. A. Heiman, former Attorney Advisor, United States Department of Justice for the National Security Division
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m. Break
10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. Panel II: Alliances and Interventions
- Hon. Brian H. Hook, Former Assistant Secretary of State for International Organizations
- Hon. Lawrence Korb, Former Assistant Secretary of Defense
- Amb. Kristen Silverberg, Former US Ambassador to the European Union
- Moderator: Prof. Jamil N. Jaffer, Former Chief Counsel and Senior Advisor, U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Luncheon Panel: Will International Law Matter to the Trump Administration?
- Hon. John B. Bellinger, III, former Legal Adviser, U.S. Department of State and the National Security Council
- Prof. Rosa Brooks, Associate Dean, Graduate Programs & Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center
- Moderator: Prof. David Stewart, President, American Branch of the International Law Association (ABILA)
This event will be free of charge and lunch will be provided. A link to a free live-stream will be made available on January 23 so the conference can be watched in real time.