Start : Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:00 PM
End : Wednesday, October 02, 2013 03:00 PM
Add To Your Calendar
National Press Club
529 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20045
October 7th will mark the first day of the 2013 Supreme Court term. Thus far, the Court's docket includes major cases involving affirmative action, campaign finance, the First Amendment, criminal law, environmental law, and more. Notable cases include Bond v. United States, involving the Treaty Power and the structural limits of federal authority, Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, concerning whether a state amending its constitution to prevent race or sex-based discrimination or preferential treatment in the admissions decisions of its public universities violates the Equal Protection Clause, and National Labor Relations Board v. Noel Canning, concerning whether the President lawfully exercised his authority under the Recess Appointments Clause. Also of note are Town of Greece v. Galloway, concerning whether a legislative prayer practice violates the First Amendment's Establishment Clause, and McCutcheon v. FEC, concerning whether the biennial limit on contributions to non-candidate committees is unconstitutional.
- Mr. Michael A. Carvin, partner, Jones Day
- Hon. Mary Beth Buchanan, Ethics and Reputational Risk Officer, United Nations
- Ms. Megan L. Brown, partner, Wiley Rein LLP
- Prof. Neal K. Katyal, Georgetown University Law Center
- Prof. Nicholas Quinn Rosenkranz, Georgetown University Law Center
- Moderator: Ms. Jan Crawford, CBS News Chief Legal Correspondent
The cost to attend this event is $25. Lunch will be included.
There is no cost for Press.
Online registration is now closed.
Onsite registration will be available.