Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District: What the Supreme Court’s Decision Will Mean for Race-based Admissions in Public Schools
Puget Sound Lawyers Chapter
Start : Monday, July 9, 2007 6:00 PM
End : Monday, July 9, 2007 8:30 PM
Add To Your Calendar
The Washington Athletic Club
1325 6th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
- Harry Korrell, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine, LLP - Represented the parents challenging the Seattle School District's use of race in its student admissions plan and argued case before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Michael Madden, Shareholder/President, Bennett Bigelow & Leedom P.S. - Mr. Madden represented the Seattle School District and argued before the U.S. Supreme Court
- Roger Clegg, President/General Counsel - Center for Equal Opportunity - Co-authored amicus curiae brief supporting parents' Equal Protection challenge before U.S. Supreme Court
- Justin Nelson, Associate, Susman Godfrey, L.L.P. - Mr. Nelson clerked for the Honorable Sandra Day O'Connor, 2002-03
- Bruce Ramsey - Columnist, The Seattle Times (Moderator)
In 2000, a group of parents challenged the Seattle School District's race-based admissions plan. Under the School District's "Open Choice" plan, students could chose which high school they preferred regardless of where they lived, provided there was space available. A number of Seattle high schools had more applicants than space available. Therefore, the School District used "tiebreakers" to determine which students were to be admitted to the most sought after schools. One of the tiebreakers the School District used was the racial classification of the student.
In 2006 the United States Supreme Court granted an appeal from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, which ruled in favor of the School District. On December 4, 2006, the U.S. Supreme Court heard oral argument. An opinion will be issued by the U.S. Supreme Court before it recesses at the end of June. Many consider this case to be the most closely watched of the Term.
$25.00 (includes hors d'oeuvres and hosted bar)
*CLE Credits Pending
Please RSVP to Andrew Cook at 206.553.9511 or firstname.lastname@example.org