Judicial Confirmations - Event Audio/Video
Professional Responsibility Practice Group and DC Lawyers Chapter
January 31, 2008Arlen Specter, Michael Gerhardt, Simon Heller, Michael B. Wallace, M. Edward Whelan III, David G. Savage, Eugene B. Meyer
The following audio and video were recorded on January 31, 2008.
Judicial Confirmations 1-31-08
Running Time: 01:48:13
[ Full Audio]
Senator Arlen Specter and a panel of experts examine the state of the judicial nomination and confirmation process. How does the pace of confirmations measure up to previous, similarly-situated administrations and Congresses? Has the administration been sufficiently attentive to the issue of nominations? Has the Senate been remiss in its duty to hold hearings and votes? What can be expected for the balance of the President's term; is the Senate entitled to effectively foreclose action on pending nominees at some point in anticipation of a Presidential election?
- Hon. Arlen Specter, U.S. Senate, Pennsylvania, and Ranking Minority member, U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee
- Prof. Michael J. Gerhardt, University of North Carolina School of Law
- Mr. Simon Heller, Legal Director, Alliance for Justice
- Mr. Michael B. Wallace, Wise Carter Child & Caraway
- Mr. Edward Whelan, President, Ethics and Public Policy Center
- Moderator: Mr. David G. Savage, Supreme Court Reporter, The Los Angeles Times
National Press Club