The Ideal Basel - Event Audio
Financial Services Practice Group
May 1, 2007Wayne A. Abernathy, Karen Shaw Petrou, Michael Roster, Charles Taylor, Keith R. Fisher
The Basel Risk-Based Capital Standards: Are they Workable?
The following MP3 was recorded on May 1, 2007.
To listen, please right click on the MP3 file you wish to hear and then select "Save Link As..." or "Save Target As..." After you save the MP3 file to your computer, you can then listen to the MP3 in your audio player of choice.
1:00 - 2:30 p.m.
The Ideal Basel
What are the alternatives for resolving the multiple Basel imbroglios? How can any potential adverse interactions between new risk-based capital standards and the leverage capital ratio be minimized? What approaches can be taken to minimize the possible competitive distortions between (1) banks of different sizes, (2) domestic-only versus internationally active banks, and (3) banks assuming different types of risks, such as credit risk, interest-rate risk, or operational risk? What should be done to resolve conflicts and duplication between risk-based capital standards and the FDIC's new risk-based deposit-insurance premium assessment system?
- Hon. Wayne A. Abernathy, American Bankers Association and former Assistant Secretary for Financial Institutions, U.S. Department of Treasury
- Ms. Karen Shaw Petrou, Federal Financial Analytics
- Mr. Michael Roster, Former Executive Vice President and General Counsel, Golden West Financial Corporation
- Mr. Charles Taylor, Director, Operational Risk, Risk Management Association
- Prof. Keith R. Fisher, Michigan State University College of Law-Moderator