Second Annual Western Conference - "Direct Democracy from the Framers to the 21st Century"
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 23
10:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
Panel I: What Would the Framers Have Thought of Direct Democracy?
- Prof. Maimon Schwarzschild, University of San Diego
- Prof. Marci Hamilton, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University
- Moderator: Dean Kenneth Starr, Pepperdine University
12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m.
- Mr. Ward Connerly, American Civil Rights Institute
- Introduction: Mr. Manuel Klausner, Law Offices of Manuel S. Klausner
1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Panel II: Contemporary Themes in Direct Democracy
- Prof. Elizabeth Garrett, University of Southern California
- Prof. Daniel Lowenstein, University of California at Los Angeles
- Prof. John Matsusaka, University of Southern California
- Moderator: Hon. Carlos Bea, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
3:15 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Panel III: The Courts and the Legislature vs. the People: Who is in Charge?
- Hon. Alex Kozinski, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Hon. Stephen Reinhardt, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Mr. Arnold Steinberg, political strategist and pollster
- Prof. Eugene Volokh, University of California at Los Angeles
- Hon. Pete Wilson, former Governor of California
- Moderator: Hon. Gail Heriot, United States Commission on Civil Rights
5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
Simi Valley, CA