Third Annual Western Conference - "Federal Sovereignty, State Sovereignty, and the Sovereignty of 562 Native American Tribes: A Match Made In Heaven or Somewhere Less Pleasant?"
SATURDAY, JANUARY 24
10:15 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Roundtable Discussion: How Comfortably Does Tribal Sovereignty Fit With American Democratic Ideals?
- Prof. Carole Goldberg, UCLA School of Law
- Dan Kolkey, Gibson, Dunn, & Crutcher LLP
- Joe Matel, Legislative Counsel, Senate Judiciary Committee
- Hon. Tom Sansonetti, Holland & Hart LLP
- Prof. Alexander Tallchief Skibine, University of Utah College of Law
- Moderator: Hon. Diarmuid O'Scannlain, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
12:00 noon – 1:45 p.m.
- Hon. Kenneth W. Starr, Dean, Pepperdine University Law School
- Introduction: John Fund, Wall Street Journal
2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Panel Discussion: International Law and Indian Law
- Walter Olson, Manhattan Institute for Policy Research
- Prof. Maimon Schwarzschild, University of San Diego School of Law
- Moderator: Hon. Carlos Bea, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
3:45 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Debate: The Apology Resolutions and the Akaka Bill
- Prof. Gail Heriot, University of San Diego School of Law
- Dr. Davianna McGregor, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Moderator: Eugene B. Meyer, President, The Federalist Society
The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
Simi Valley, CA
Views and opinions expressed by the Federalist Society are not necessarily shared by the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.