A Basel Backgrounder - Event Audio
Financial Services Practice Group
May 1, 2007Bert Ely, George E. French, Peter J. Wallison, Gary Wilhite, Charles M. Miller
The Basel Risk-Based Capital Standards: Are they Workable?
The following MP3 was recorded on May 1, 2007.
To listen, please right click on the MP3 file you wish to hear and then select "Save Link As..." or "Save Target As..." After you save the MP3 file to your computer, you can then listen to the MP3 in your audio player of choice.
10:00 - 11:45 a.m.
A Basel Backgrounder
Is an international bank capital standard constitutional in the U.S. without Senate ratification as if it were a treaty? Is there really a need for internationally applicable bank capital standards? If so, who benefits from such a standard(s)? What competitive distortions are likely to arise in the application of new Basel capital standards, whether every bank operates under the same rules or there are different rules for different-size and type banks? What are the unintended consequences of the interaction between a simple leverage capital requirement and a risk-based capital requirement?
- Mr. Bert Ely, Ely & Company
- Mr. George E. French, Deputy Director, Policy and Examination Oversight, FDIC
- Hon. Peter J. Wallison, American Enterprise Institute
- Mr. Gary Wilhite, Senior Vice President, Credit Risk Management, Wachovia Corporation
- Mr. Charles M. Miller, Keating Muething & Klekamp, PLL-Moderator